Sunday, March 18, 2012

Broome County Veterans Arena, Binghamton NY march 17, 1988 - Frank Zappa

This is a concert boot. This was recorded on St. Patrick's Day 1988. The thing that I like is that he did some old songs, but they are still pretty much the album versions, to a point.This concert reminds me of Broadway the Hard Way and The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life. But I think that this is much better than both of those albums. This is a 2Cd thing so first here is disc 1. Oh yeah Happy St. Patrick's Day
  1. The Black Page (New Age Version): I don't think that this version is as good as Terry Ted's drum solo but what ever. It is still a good song I just prefer the drum version
  2. Dickie's Such An Asshole: The solo is pretty cool. Pretty much like YCDTOSA#3.
  3. Stick Together: Sounds like album version, just shorter
  4. My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama: I love this song. The only complaint I have about this version is that I feel like it doesn't have that same chemistry as the other versions but it has a sick 
  5. Willie The Pimp: Though the guy doesn't sound like the Captain he did a good job. And obviously Frank changed around the way the verses are to better fit this band. The flow from this into Montana is also good.
  6. Montana: I like this version but it's no Over-Night Sensation or any live version from 1973 or 1974
  7. City of Tiny Lites: This song is one of my favorite Frank songs. And this version of it is good. I think this song, and this band playing it, work well.
  8. A Pound For A Brown (On The Bus): I love Pound For A Brown. I like in this version where probably 5 minutes into it they have audience participation. The solo is cool. And the part where the brass has it part as the lead instrument is good to.
  9. When The Lie's So Big: This song is ok. I think it's cool sounding and decent. I didn't get blown away by it but, who am I to decide if it is good or not. This is also on BWTHW.
  10. Jesus Thinks Your A Jerk: Though I am a Christian I still love and respect Frank's views. This song reminds me of sophomore year waiting to go and see my brother do swim meet. I particularly remember the one where I was listening to the Broadway the Hard Way version. For some reason I had a shit load of confidence and actually said something to the "hottest" girl I'd ever seen at school. She said two words. I know what but I don't want to say because it is embarrassing. But this song is so fricken catchy. The more I listened to it the more I understood the lyrics. It is an awesome song and the only real difference between this version and Broadway the Hard Way is the whole Twilight Zone part of the song where he calls upon Eric Buxton. But overall I love this song and listen to it like crazy.
And that's the end of the first Disc now onto Disc 2. I assume that this would be the late show or what ever you would call it
  1. Florentine Pogen: This song is changed up to better fit the more Jazz/Big Band sound that Frank had on this tour. This song isn't that mind blowing.
  2. Andy: This is pretty the same idea I have about this is the last song.
  3. Inca Roads: I love this song. The lyrics are constantly stuck in my head. There is no way that Ike is George. {NOTE: 08/19/13, mistake it's Napoleon not George. That is all}  But none the less, this is still a very good performance of the song.
  4. Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up: Unfortunately this is one of my least favorite Frank Zappa songs. I don't know what it is but I just am not a big fan of it.
  5. Let's Move To Cleveland: This sounds like the album version. I don't really like this that much. I don't know, its just... yeah
  6. When Irish Eyes Are Smiling: I'm not really that huge on this song, but what ever. I like that they played it on St. Patties Day.
  7. Theme from 'The Godfather II': When I first heard this I thought it was the James Bond theme song.
  8. Who Needs The Peace Corps?: This song is just like how they did it on The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
  9. I Left My Heart In San Francisco: I like how this flows from the last song and it works. You know, its really cool.
  10. Stairway To Heaven: This is my favorite version I've heard of the song... Ever. I like this version more than TBBYNHIYL version and even the Led Zeppelin version. Its true, you should listen to it, it's really good. There isn't a horn solo its more him improving a solo
  11. Norwegian Jim: Though I love The Beatles you gotta love this song. It is pretty damn funny and catchy.
  12. Louisiana Hooker With Herpes: This is as, if not more, catchy as Norwegian Jim. There is something about this that just makes me laugh and quote it
  13. The Texas Motel: This is probably my favorite part of the Texas Motel Suite, or what ever they call it. I think that it is in general funny, but I think that this is the funniest and most quotable part of it.
  14. Sofa No. 1: This reminds me of the version off Zappa in New York.
  15. The Illinois Enema Bandit: This isn't as good as ZINY version. I think that it is too big band sounding. It sounds like Bobby is singing but I'm not positive. I don't like his voice as much as __ for this song. There is also more talking in this song
Over all I feel that this bootleg deserves a 7/10. There were too many duds for me. I haven't really been albe to get into Frank's stuff from his final tour that much. I wish I could but its hard

No comments:

Post a Comment